Reese’s Peanutbutter cups, the milk chocolate cups filled with creamy peanutbutter, are one of America’s most beloved candy’s. But unlike what the name suggests, it does not only consist of those two ingredients.
Let’s have a look at the ingredients:
MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR; COCOA BUTTER; CHOCOLATE; NONFAT MILK; MILK FAT; LACTOSE; SOY LECITHIN; PGPR, EMULSIFIER; PEANUTS; SUGAR; DEXTROSE; SALT; TBHQ (PRESERVATIVE)
I don’t even know what PGPR Emulsifier is, and neither have I ever heard of TBHQ preservative. I decided to create a clean, but still very tastful version of this traditional treat, and the good thing is, it is ridiculouly easy to make!
Ingredients for 8 mini cups:
For the chocolate layer:
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cups organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- a pinch of seasalt
For the peanutbutter layer:
- 3/4 cup peanutbutter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- a pinch of seasalt
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Line mini muffin tin with 8 mini cupcake wrappers or silicone cups.
- Combine the raw cacao, maple syrup and liquid coconut oil (melt if needed) in a medium size bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour a tablespoonspoon of the melted chocolate into the bottom of one cup and use a small spoon to coat the chocolate halfway up the sides. Repeat until all the cupcake liners are coated. Don’t use all the chocolate, because you will need some for the top as well.
- Put them into the freezer for at least 15 minutes or until hardened.
- In the meanwhile, make the peanutbutter layer by combining the peanutbutter, maple syrup and coconut oil in a medium sized bowl. Stir very well.
- Drop a spoonful at a time on top of the frozen/hardened chocolate in the silicone muffin cups.
- Put them back again into the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the remaining chocolate mixture in the nutbutter cups, so the peanutbutter is completely covered, put some peanuts on top and return to the freezer again.
- Store in the freezer until you are ready to eat, then just let come to room temperature before devouring.
This treat is so simple and pure. Rich, velvety chocolate, filled with a center of slightly crumbly, dense peanutbutter with a little salty kick: the perfect marriage of peanut butter and chocolate. Heav-en.
Lots of love, Leila
– If you were given a book with the story of your live, would you read the end?