To be honest, I am not someone who hankers after the chocolate and orange combination, although it is a very classic combination. But I decided to give it a go, and combined the flavours with baked oatmeal. It turned out to be so good: sweet and tangy, suprising and subtle, that I have changed my opinion. The chocolate and orange unite exquisiteley; crispy bits of tangy orange peel gently realese their flavour, surrounded by velvety, smooth, dark chocolate flavoured oatmeal. It is a such a rich, gooey and decadent recipe and it keeps you going for hours!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon cocao powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- a pinch of seasalt
- 1 egg or for vegans: make an egg substitute by mixing 3 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until it takes on a goopy texture similar to raw egg yolk.
- ½ cup milk of your choice (I used soy milk, but almond, coconut or cow’s milk will also work well)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
For the topping:
- 1 slice of orange
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (180°C). Grease the base of a small oven safe bowl with some coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix very well.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the egg or ‘vegan egg’, add the milk and orange juice and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and again, mix very wel.
- Spoon the mixture in the oven safe bowl and top with the orange slice and cranberries.
- Bake for approximately 25- 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Lots of love,
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ~Nelson Mandela